Monday 13 February 2012

Review - Under The Never Sky By Veronica Rossi

"WORLDS KEPT THEM APART. DESTINY BROUGHT THEM TOGETHER. Aria has lived her whole life in the protected dome of Reverie. Her entire world confined to its spaces, she's never thought to dream of what lies beyond its doors. So when her mother goes missing, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland long enough to find her are slim. Then Aria meets an outsider named Perry. He's searching for someone too. He's also wild - a savage - but might be her best hope at staying alive. If they can survive, they are each other's best hope for finding answers"  taken from Amazon

I want to start with talking about the UK cover.  I am quite torn on the cover I must admit.  Part of me adores it and then part of me just doesn't quite get it.  I don't really get their floating in mid air, in front of a planet.  But I do love their embrace.  I like that parts of each of them look almost unreal.  As parts of Aria's life are lived in a non-reality this was a great element to add.  I love all the little touches too like Perry's tattoos.  I'm quite intrigued to see what they will do with the next cover.

I first heard about this book early November last year through Atom's upcoming catalogue.  Instantly I was drawn to this book.  I needed to read this.  When I attended the Atom bloggers party, we all did a somewhat fangirly gasp with excitement when this was mentioned.  Sadly we didn't get this book then and had to wait just a while longer for its greatness.  But it was worth the wait!!!

Upon starting the book I felt there was a lot of information to take in.  Not only were you learning about the characters (of which there were quite a few), but also this new world which is very different to ours today.  I was a little confused, but once I engaged my brain following became easier.

You start with life in the Reverie with Aria and then move to life with Perry on the outside.  Their lives are vastly different.  Reading from both of the characters perspectives was incredible.  It brought a lot of diversity to the story and made seeing things from both of their views that much more understandable.

Aria and Perry are both amazing characters.  They both are ballsy and have a lot to say.  This makes the banter between the characters fun and engaging.

Mid way through I did find the book slowed somewhat and I wasn't quite sure where the story was going.  But at this point some new characters were added, that re-captured my imagination instantly.  I wanted to get more acquainted with these characters and see how their input changed the story and interactions.

There is an epic journey part to the story from here, that had me thinking of Fellowship of The Ring.  I think it was the bringing together of different people and the road trip (well woods trip) that they go on.

My attention did wain a little again, but I was pulled back very quickly this time with a very strong conclusion to the story.  And by conclusion I mean end to this part of the story, as this is another trilogy and so we have more to hear from these great new characters.

Rating 3 1/2 Out Of 5

This Is Published In The UK By ATOM

This Can Be Purchased HERE and from good bookstores

3 comments:

  1. I'm not quite sure how I feel about this book. Some bits of it sound good, but I'm not convinced I'll like it all. I'll read some more reviews and see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally dying to read this. And I actually really like the UK cover for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm I was dying to read this the. I started seeing mixed reviews... I might still give it a go but I might wait a while!

    ReplyDelete