Tuesday 28 February 2012

Review - Legend By Marie Lu

"The United States is gone, along with its flooded coasts. North America's two warring nations, the western Republic and the eastern Colonies, have reached a breaking point. In the midst of this broken continent and dark new world are two teenagers who will go down in history....

Born into the slums of Los Angeles, fifteen-year old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. A mysterious boy with no recorded image or fingerprints. A boy who should no longer exist. A boy who watches over his family until one evening, when the plague patrols mark his family's door with an X--the sign of plague infection. A death sentence for any family too poor to afford the antidote. Desperate, Day has no choice; he must steal it.

Born to an elite family in Los Angeles' wealthy Ruby sector, fifteen-year old June is the Republic's most promising prodigy. A superintelligent girl destined for great things in the country's highest military circles. Obedient, passionate, and committed to her country--until the day her brother Metias is murdered while on patrol during a break-in at the plague hospital.

Only one person could be responsible.

Day.

And now it's June's mission to hunt him down.

The truth they'll uncover will become legend.
"


I first heard of this last July when the book was starting its release promotion in the USA.  I researched it, as I do all books that interest me and knew this was my kind of thing.  When I was asked if I'd like to review I had to contain my extreme excitedness.  I hope I acted cool.......

The UK cover is somewhat reminiscent of the original Divergent cover for me.  That doesn't make it any less stunning though.  Its almost like the girl standing there has the world at her feet - like she is powerful.  I also like the setting sun, its kind of provocative to me in that things are going to go down!!

You start the story reading from the view of Day - a boy on the wrong side of the law.  He lives to cause havoc for the Republics wealthy and to look after his family.  You find his family has been marked as plague victims and so starts his mission to save them.  I was rather shocked to read of how the poor are treated in this world.  It left me with a  feeling of fear for them, but also for us.  Marie uses the facts of today, like growing population and lack of resources and builds a new warped version of the world.  I do find when I read dystopian tales like this I wonder - What if???

The next chapter shifts to another character JUNE - it also switches to a new font, that was so helpful - you can just look at the writing and know who's side of the story is being told!
June's life is greatly different to Day's, she is rich and privileged.  Through actions in the story though she becomes the sworn enemy of Day and so her story of revenge begins.
I found it utterly fascinating to read of the diversity of the characters life.  How much like in our world today being born to some people can bring great fortune and to others bring great suffering.  Its actually great thinking material for the life we live now.  Sometimes the grass is not greener on the other side, but just sometimes I think it is.

For me the story although interesting dragged a little in the first half, but the second half was so much more exciting.  It was in this half that revelations started pouring out and you could see where the story was going.  At this point I was utterly enthralled.

The book concludes on a somewhat shocking note, but is a great set up for the next part.  I'm just not sure where the story is going and that is so attractive to me - I want shocks and think I may just get some!!

This is a brilliant debut that not only had me questioning the world in the book, but the world be live in today.

Rating 3 1/2 Out Of 5

Published In The UK By Puffin

This Can Be Purchased HERE and at good book retailers

5 comments:

  1. Great review I really enjoyed this one. I think I prefer this cover over the US only too. Glad you enjoyed it even though you found it slow at first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sound of this but it seems like everyone has a few issues with it so I'm not sure whether to read it or not. I do love the sound of Day though and the ending sounds perfect from how you've described it! Thanks for the review and for stopping by my blog

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review; I have this in my TBR pile and can't wait to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been swaying between wanting to read this and not but I think after your review i would really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab review, I really enjoyed Legend and am really looking forward to the sequel!

    ReplyDelete