Thursday 2 February 2012

Review - The Storyteller By Antonia Michaelis

"Anna and Abel couldn’t be more different. They are both seventeen and in their last year of school, but while Anna lives in a nice old town house and comes from a well-to-do family, Abel, the school drug dealer, lives in a big, prison like tower block at the edge of town. Anna is afraid of him until she realizes that he is caring for his six-year-old sister on his own. Fascinated, Anna follows the two and listens as Abel tells little Micha the story of a tiny queen assailed by dark forces. It’s a beautiful fairy tale that Anna comes to see has a basis in reality. Abel is in real danger of losing Micha to their abusive father and to his own inability to make ends meet. Anna gradually falls in love with Abel, but when his “enemies” begin to turn up dead, she fears she has fallen for a murderer. Has she?"  taken from Goodreads

The Cover - Very subtle but beautiful.  When you really look at it, you can see spots of blood that is just a little chilling.  All very apt for the story within.  Big thumbs up from me!!

I must admit on first starting this I was left kind of confused.  I couldn't tell exactly where the story was going but this was enthralling enough that I wanted to keep reading and see where it was leading.


After a little while you find that parts of the story are told within another story - yep that does sound confusing but it works.  Its gives a slight fantasy twist on what is a very real style story.  Definitely would appeal to two lots of reading fans.
These parts of the story had me thinking of two different movies.  One more obvious choice is Pans Labyrinth with the darkness of the story.  One maybe not quite as obvious pick for me was Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - don't laugh, I mean it in the way that 'the storyteller' takes aspects of their lives and weaves it into this epic fantasy tale.  There were even some lyrics in the story, although not as jolly as Chitty Chitty Bang Bangs!!

There are some rather harrowing scenes in the book that I was really not quite pre-pared for.  They came somewhat out of the blue and left me kind of reeling.  Whilst being aghast I was also very keen to read on and see what the explanations were for the roads taken.


I had times of being so angry with different characters and then heart warmed by them.  I felt at times their actions were somewhat out of character and I wanted to shout at them 'what the hell are you doing?'  By the end most actions were accounted for and although still not forgivable, I did reach a place of understanding.

This book wreaked absolute havoc on my emotions.  I was asked what I thought when I finished and all I could think of was :O  for about an hour after.  I can sum it up slightly by saying I was left with a deep feeling of sadness, but there was a glimmer of hope and I think its hope that gets you through all turmoil.


Rating 4 Out Of 5


Published In The UK By Amulet


This Can Be Purchased HERE and from good book retailers

3 comments:

  1. A story within a story sounds kind of neat! I've had my eye on this one it sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks kind of confusing, but brilliant!

    ReplyDelete