Saturday 5 February 2011

Review - Catching Fire (Part II Hunger Games) By Suzanne Collins

"After winning the brutal Hunger Games, Katniss Everdeen returns to her district, hoping for a peaceful future. But Katniss starts to hear rumours of a deadly rebellion against the Capitol. A rebellion that she and Peeta have helped to create. As Katniss and Peeta are forced to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. Unless Katniss and Peeta can convince the world that they are still lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying... The terrifying sequel to The Hunger Games." - Synopsis taken from Amazon

I have been super slow reading these books - I admit it!  I remember when the first book initially came out & seeing Stephenie Meyers rave reviews for it.  That got my interest, but when I read the blurb I really didn't feel it was for me.  I thought it was too boyish in some ways.  Boy am I glad I eventually changed my mind!  I should also say a big thanks to my friends for nagging me to finish the books!!  THANK YOU!!

As always I talk about the cover first.  This is really cool.  Its quite simple, but I think its appealing to both boys and girls.  Great colours too!!

This books kicks off shortly after where the first book finishes.  I really like this, makes you feel like you haven't missed much & gets you back into the story very quickly.

On a very hypocritical note something really bothers me about these books.  The animal hunting!!  I'm not even a vegetarian, so as I say its completely wrong of me to let this bother me, but it does.  I can categorically say that if I was Katniss & I had to kill for food, we would go without - sorry family for your impending deaths!!!

For me it has been very bizarre reading this book at the moment, as some of the things that happens in the districts is actually happening right now in places like Egypt & Tunisia.  I really did find myself thinking of the book when watching the news & thinking of the news whilst reading the book.  Proof of how good the writing is.  Suzanne did a fantastic job of writing of the turmoils they have to go through.

This book left me shocked.  Just when you think things can't get worse for the characters, it does and in ways that you can't even imagine.  But it doesn't stop this being absolutely compelling reading.  You become so involved in the characters lives, I really did feel the pain of what was happening to them.

I found putting this book down so hard, nearly every chapter ended with some sort of cliffhanger and just made me feel like I had to keep reading.
The last sentence left me with my mouth OPEN!!  I can't imagine how people felt when they read that & knew that they had to wait about a year for the finale.  Maybe my waiting wasn't such a bad idea, as I get to start Mockingjay now - YAY!!

This is an AMAZING book & a fabulous series.  Even if this doesn't sound like your sort of book, which is exactly how I felt please give them a go.  You will not be disappointed!!!

Rating 4 Out Of 5

Published In The UK By Scholastic

This Can Be Purchased HERE And from all good book stores

2 comments: