Tuesday 30 November 2010

Review - Matched By Ally Condie


I was very lucky to be given an ARC of this book at a Twilight convention, from my awesome friend Jenny at Wondrous Reads . I'm ashamed to admit its another book I hadn't heard of until getting it & when I saw some of my friends responses to me saying I had it, I guessed it was something I needed to read as soon as possible.

Its actually a very different book for me to read, as I don't tend to go for futuristic style, but from reading the blurb even I thought this sounded pretty awesome. I don't think I can convey HOW awesome it actually is!!

The setting is an incredible, futuristic land where every ones lives are pre-mapped for them, from what they eat for breakfast to who they will spend the rest of their lives with. Everyone is engineered to be as perfect as they can be & everyone is incredibly content with this way of life. On reading this I could totally see this one day happening. It was almost like reading an autobiography, except its in the future (and obviously fiction) I have to admit, I did feel like this is a land I could have been quite happy in living in. Not having to make any hard decisions & just doing what you are meant to. I guess that shows some of my lazier streak, eeek!!


Of course nothing is ever perfect and its not until the story evolves that you realise how much people are doing because they are told to and not because its what they want.
I quickly decided that maybe things are better the way we have them - debatable I know!!

The story revolves around a girl called Cassia & her finding her place in the society that has been decided for her. She finds herself torn between a love chosen for her & a love she has chosen for herself. She has the hardest decisions to make and I do not envy her one bit. Although I wouldn't mind the attention from 2 wonderful guys!!
You soon realise how much everyone is being watched & that secrets are just not possible, with harsh punishments for anyone going against the rules.

This really got me questioning life & the future (my future). I always find it incredible when a book can do this & a young Adult book at that, which I don't think get enough credit for their impact.

This is without a doubt one of the best books I have read this year, I can't recommend it any higher. Its a world you can completely sink yourself into & forget everything that is going on around you.
I urge you go and get this book AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, you will not regret it!!!!
Now I just have to wait for the sequel - how longs that going to be???......

Rating 5 Out Of 5

Published in the UK By Puffin

2 comments:

  1. Great review. I've been humming and hawing about this for ages but I think I will have to go out and get it. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :D I did absolutely love reading this one & even suggested it to a girl in Asda - sign of a good book :D

    ReplyDelete