Friday 27 April 2012

Review - Dead Rules By R.S.Russell

When Jana Webster dies in a tragic accident, she finds herself transferred to 'Dead School' in the afterlife, where students fall into distinct cliques. Risers (good kids who died innocently), Sliders (bad kids, who have one foot tied to earth) and Virgins (there are fewer than Jana would expect). Jana's boyfriend and love of her life - Michael - is still in the land of the living. Michael is Romeo to Jana's Juliet and as the story goes... even death can't keep them apart. Tired of waiting for him to kill himself over his grief of losing her, Jana decides she needs to do it for him. To kill Michael she'll need the help of a dangerous and sexy Slider - Mars Dreamcoate. But Mars has a goal of his own: he wants to save a life to atone for having taken one in a drunk-driving accident. And to complicate matters, he was trying to save Jana when she died and saw what was really going on when her 'accident' happened. Jana decides to do whatever it takes to get Michael back, and nothing - not even Mars' warm touch or the devastating secret he holds about her death - will stop her.  - taken from Goodreads

The first I actually heard of this book, was when I received it in the mail.  From looking at the cover & then reading the blurb I was definitely excited.

The cover is very dramatic.  The girls face and features are so eye catching and almost sinister looking without having anything remotely scary about it.

On starting this I have to admit I was hugely confused.  It was kind of like I was dropped into the middle of a story with no explanations - its like you are expected to already know what has passed.  So from the start I have to say I had trouble connecting to the story.

Then came my next lot of what I can only call confusion came, the characters were so blase about their current situations.  Something seriously HUGE has happened to all of them and especially the main character Jana is essentially just 'oh well nevermind' I just could not grasp this attitude.

But this all blends in eventually and you realise the story is basically a black comedy / drama.  The way some of the kids have to 'live' is very darkly comical - you almost feel guilty for giggling to yourself.

The story really got going for me towards the end, I found I was more intrigued and wanting to know the conclusion of the story.  The end kept in with the black humour theme - you definitely couldn't say it was a happy ending for all.

This was an interesting story that had mirrors to the book series Ghost Girl and to the TV show Dead Like Me - both of which I loved, so there were definitely some parts that I really did enjoy.

Rating 3 Out Of 5

This Is Published In The UK By Quercus

This Can Be Purchased HERE and from good book retailers

4 comments:

  1. I haven't read the Ghost Girl series, but I shall definitely add to my list now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. {new follower here}

    From the summary this seems like a book that would be of complete interest to me. I have not yet read it therefore I am choosing not to read your review at this time. Thank you for sharing.

    {http://www.justonemorechapter.net}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful review! This is on my wishlist, it sounds really interesting! Although nothing annoys me more than when a book is too confusing and I don't understand it, so I'm bit iffy now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely wouldn't put you off giving it a go, others I know love it so likely it was just me being a bit dumb, lol!

      Delete